Tuesday, January 09, 2007

We made it! It's late Tuesday and I'm writing from my hotel in Tver.

Both of our flights left the gate late, but arrived on time. Moscow airport is not unlike any of the other European airports that I've been through. I was concerned about pick-pocketing, but we used our money belts and were OK. The Moscowites were very well dressed and I felt out of place. I also had several “taxi” offers, which were easy to turn down with a “nyet” and a stern look. I had to remember to not make eye contact and try to wipe the smile off of my face, in order to try to fit in a little bit better.

Our translator met us at after customs. We had to wait for another couple to join us, and boy, am I glad we did! R and C are on their second trip to adopt a three year old boy. It's great to have them here because they are helping me understand what to expect. For example, C told me that she asked for an independent medical review on her first trip but didn't get it. I'm glad I made my intentions clear to Alexi, and hopefully it will get done. Even though I'm doing a little bit of complaining about my agency, I truly believe that everyone that works for CHI is behind us and will give us their best effort.

We never made it to the Ministry of Education or the baby home (orphanage) today. I'm disappointed, but not upset. I have to go with the flow... The plan is to do both tomorrow (Wednesday ) R and C will also go to the same orphanage (Kashin?) with us, because their son and Grace are both there.

I'm so excited! It really hit me when we climbed into the mini-van that whisked us away from Moscow. I'm in Russia! To adopt my daughter!

We arrived in Tver after 3:00, checked into the hotel, and immediately went the bank to exchange dollars for Rubles 26.10 : $1. Then, we walked to the pedestrian street (like State Street in Madison).

We were specifically looking for a Russia-style hat for Dad. We followed the directions that the hotel desk clerk gave us (very sweet!) and found a quaint little hat shop. Some of the fur hats were priced at $300! Dad selected a black, felt beret. We also purchased a fur hat as a souvenir for Karen's friend.

After shopping, we found the cafeteria recommended by Jeana - yes, Jeana, we had your map and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

We had a little trouble with electrical connections, but Dad's kit is working for us. We can plug in one electrical device at a time, which is enough to get by. We just have to plan ahead to recharge all of the cameras and laptops.

Dad installed Skype on his laptop and we're able to call via the internet for a VERY reasonable rate. Of course, we need to pay the hotel for using the wireless internet, but it's worth it.
It's now Wednesday morning and I woke up at 5:00 a.m. - to be expected. I was concerned about sleeping, so I've been using an OTC sleeping aid. I think it's helping even though I wake up every hour or so. I feel very good. I am anticipating and have this energy running through me. I suppose it's nervous energy. It's really going to happen today. I'm going to meet my daughter! Why am I concerned about losing sleep??? When I bring Grace home, I'll never sleep the same again! I can't wait!! :) It feels right.

I still need to either approve or reject the referral. They've asked me to make my decision by Thursday night or Friday morning. Not much time. R and C pointed out that we will only have 1 or 2 hours with Grace today and Thursday. Not much time. I'm bringing the Denver developmental list and about 200 questions that I've compiled from several sources.

I'll write more later. I've been getting all kinds of supportive emails from Vicki, Steve, Kathy... Thank you so much for your kind words. I apologize for note replying individually, but thank you so much. Your support is very important to me. I am a very proud mom-to-be. Love you bunches!

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Kelly,
I can feel your exicitment!! I feel so blessed to be apart of your trip! I can't wait to meet Grace!
Vicki

Jeana said...

Congratulations on making it to Tver! I'm sorry to hear you didn't get to met Grace on Tuesday, but you will later today. I've heard great things about the Kashin baby home and I think they have a Web site. I'll see if I can find the info on that for you.

So happy to hear you found the cafeteria--the food is very good and the prices are very reasonable. It's also nice to be able to see what you are getting before you order!

Can't wait to hear about your first meeting with Grace! Alivia and I are sending out warm and happy wishes for you!

Hugs!

Jeana

Jeana said...

Here's the URL for the Kashin baby house--

http://www.kashindeti.ru

They have a really nice Web site!

Jeana

Christy said...

Kelly,

I can't wait to hear about your meeting with Grace!!!

I need to borrow the DDST and your list of questions.

I am so excited for you!

Christy