Wednesday, January 10, 2007

She's beautiful! Wow. Amazing. What a day. A short time to visit with Grace Alexandra, but a good time.

She was totally quiet and passive during the first 15 minutes. That's what I expected, but I felt like a failure. I wasn't sure what to do to console her. At one point, she got that pouting lower lip, so I picked her up and held her to me, whcih calmed her down. It actually worked!

Usually, the caregivers abbreviate the name Alexandra and call her Sasha or Sashula or Shula. I tried that a few times, but I don't think I said it correctly.

I'm sorry that I can't post more tonight. I'm really exhausted - mostly emotionally exhausted. I'll do better tomorrow, I promise!

2 comments:

Jeana said...

I'm so glad to hear things went well. On my first visit with Alivia she was very quiet, too. She spent the whole time exploring my mouth with her little fingers.

What worked for me with Alivia was holding her and stroking her neck and her back. She just melted at the touch. It was my first real "mommy" moment with her and it melted my heart, too.

Don't even *think* you might be a failure at this mommy thing--Sasha is used to other people who sound, smell, and treat her differently. Show her the love that you have in your heart and she'll latch onto it. It's the one thing she's missing and the one thing she wants more than anything else in the world.

Can't wait for details on your first visit!

Jeana

Kari said...

Kelly,

I'm so glad to hear your visit with Grace was a good one!

You are in no way a "failure" at the whole mommy thing! Grace is getting to know you, just as you are getting to know her. It may take a bit, but she will come to know her mommy just as the rest of us know you! You are one of the most patient and caring people I know! Just keep loving her and she will respond.

Take care and we can't wait to hear more details about your trip!

Kari and Randy