Monday, February 12, 2007

Travel begins. We're at O'Hare – the International Terminal this time. We're really early, since we took the Van Galder Bus down. But, it's better to be early than late.

I probably won't be able to post this until we reach Tver, so it may seem like a late post.
I want to thank several people that has helped me get through the past month...

Tracy, who adopted from Russia last year. We met and talked and you seemed so confident and self assured. You're doing a great job parenting, which makes me think that I can do it, too.

Christy, who just made her first trip to Russia last week. You met your daughter and agreed to adopt her. We're going through the same stuff about single-parenting. Today on the phone you said that the judge was giving you a hard time because you are single. I will probably run into the same thing, but it's just another of the many hurdles to get to Grace.

Tammy, my back up travel buddy. You rock! You've been kind and patient during the decision making process. I would have liked to travel with you, and hopefully we can travel together in the future. AND, you hosted a surprise baby shower for me at work! Thank you for the gifts, I really appreciate them!

Jenny, thanks for letting my cry on your shoulder two weeks ago. It was a difficult week for me – I was struggling with insecurities again. You pointed out similar struggles when you were a “beginner” parent and made me feel better. Thank you so much.

Krista, I was lucky to stay with you last week. Spending time with you and your boys really grounded me and kept me from getting on the pitty potty. I really needed it. I wish I could have spent more time with you, but the long hours at work gave me some assurance that my programs would continue in my absence.

Bobbi, Marilyn, Sara and Barb: Thank you for the lunch on Friday and the THIRD baby shower! The gifts will be well used. The blanket with “Grace Aleksandra” stitched on it will be well-used.
I can't believe all of the well-wishes and gifts and smiles that I've been getting in the past few weeks. Everyone is anticipating this adoption just as much as me! I hope that I don't let anyone down. It's going to be tough for a while. A HUGE adjustment for me and Grace. Both of us have some gi-normous life changes ahead of us. My family is planning a get together when we get home, and I'm worried about disappointing everyone. Grace will probably be shy and reserved, if not scared of all of the strangers coming to my home. But, I want to share this joyful time with everyone! I'm torn because I really want to see everyone. My plan is to take it slow and take cues from Grace's body language. We'll probably take lots of breaks and hopefully she'll want to cuddle with me!

No comments: