Thursday, February 15, 2007

February 15

Masha took us to visit two doctors today: a psychologist and a narcologist. The psychologist visit started in a nurses office where she took my payment of 350 Rubles (about $14) and a box of chocolates from Masha, the nurse was about 60 years old and told me that I was young and beautiful and that I should go out and have a private life. She meant that I should date men and marry a man. She wished me well and gave me a goodbye kiss on the cheek!

When we finished with the nurse, we went to see the psychologist. Here, Masha presented more chocolates and some documentation – probably my home study that had been translated. A female psychologist, about 40 years old, asked me about how I decided to adopt from Russia, plans to stay home and plans for daycare. She asked why I was not married – Mom helped coach me a little bit the night before and I decided to say that I would like to have a husband, but that the men that I've dated have had different life goals than me. (It's great to have Mom here to bounce interview questions off of her and think through the answers before it's too late.) The psychologist also asked if I was aware of any delays that Grace may have, and I said her speech was delayed five months and her development was delayed three months. These delays are not as bad as typical in institutionalized children... usually it's one month of delay for every three months of age. Grace is 17 months old – her birthday is in August 2005. (I'll give you more details via private email if you like... please let me know.) The doc wished me well and we were off to the next one.

Masha handed more candies to the narcologist, along with my drug screen results from my primary care physician in Wisconsin. I paid 250 Rubles ($10) and had a very short interview with the narcologist. She apologized for the weather and said that I was beautiful and should have a husband. Typical.

I smiled through everything and it was actually and enjoyable experience. I'm really keeping an open mind through the process. Today's inspections (medical reviews) were very interesting because we visited public doctors. The buildings were at least 100 years old with flooring that was worn through, holes in the walls, radiators for heat, and exposed piping and electrical lines everywhere. The people waiting for doctors had to wait for us. We were pushed to the front of the lines at every office. The patients seemed to come from a wide variety of economic status: some wore beautiful clothing with fur coats and hats while others were in tattered wool jackets with patches where it had worn through. The medical staff was very polite to me and kind. I believe that they all think that this is the best thing for Grace and are grateful that she is going to a good home. It's definitely the best thing for me.

Alexey will visit us this afternoon and we will talk about court tomorrow. THE BIG DAY IS TOMORROW. I am carefully reading my home study and thinking about every sentence. They judge will ask me “provocative” questions, the inspector (special social worker), baby home director and baby home staff will testify about my behavior during my visits to the baby home. I think I'll get a positive response because everyone was smiling when they were watching me at the baby home. I'm going to do my homework and be well-prepared and as confident as possible. This is the biggest interview of my life, for the most important job of my life.

No comments: